Wednesday, April 12, 2017

"Hard Times Come Again No More." / "More Usage."


Watching TV and there again is Jeff Zeleny of CNN and again the awful thought, "I like what he's doing with his hair."

What am I coming to when I'm looking enviously at this hairstyle?
Last night I was also admiring Don Lemon's spectacles.

I remember being in The Angel, Soho, in the late Nineties, and I had had a haircut and I was complaining about my hair but actually I remember I felt pretty good about it. I felt great relief that the haircut had paid off. I was going to enjoy the night's drinking.

My hair at the time was fine, doing fine, but the talk turned somehow (typical of the time) to relative looming hair loss and the phenomenon of the "island" of hair where hair is lost but some hair remains resiliently at the front. Jonny Ames-Lewis was there. He had a whole house of prematurely balding men, and each of them was losing his hair in a different style. It was like a scientific study. They all listened to Bert Jansch and The Incredible String Band.

Then Iain Robinson piped up, in a signature piece of rhetoric we used to call "The Pathetic Moment," and said, "I remember my island. I miss the days when I had an island."

We howled with laughter, and now that empty banshee wailing is recalled to me anew as I stare at Jeff Zeleny and think, "I admire what he's done with what he has."

Poor indictment.

Bad (sick).

**********

Everybody seems to be using the word "frankly" this week. Sean Spicer kept saying it when he was apologizing after he forgot all about the occurrence of the Holocaust in front of the whole universe. 
Now Trump said it when he was talking about Putin in his patented four-year-old idiom:

Frankly Putin is backing a person that's truly an evil person and I think it's very bad for Russia, I think it's very bad for Mankind, it's very bad for this world cause you see the same kids with no arms, no legs, no face... this is an animal.

It was like the last words of Dutch Schultz. Christiane Amanpour called this language "florid" incidentally.  And she was saying "frankly" too.




No comments:

Post a Comment