Wednesday, March 22, 2017

"Where's Charlie?"


It's hard to write funny, usable satire about Overcomber Don some days.  I'm not like the radio personalities on NPR who chuckle vacantly over the week in Washington even at the rosy-fingered dawn of Armageddon. And if I can't find spiffing fun in the day's events I'm of no use to anybody because my gnashing of teeth and venting of spleen morning til night is not worth the hearing. I say it freely. Protect us from the grinding of tongues.

Sorry Wash –– not much to say today but I promised I would check in daily.

This has been one of those days when "our side," patently the side of decency righteousness Christhood and truth, seems to be losing. Like Norman Mailer said to Dick Cavett on his eponymous show, "I believe that God and the Devil are in combat and regrettably the side of the good is losing. Now I really must leave you and the studio audience at home." He quite remarkably got up off the couch and left the talkshow set.

Norman he wasn't a great writer but he was great to have around for a while as a public intellectual. I wouldn't go so far as to say, "Oh for a Norman Mailer today," but it beats George Sanders talking to Seth Myers who is standing in for Charlie Rose.

Where is Charlie, incidentally.
Wasn't he supposed to return in March?

No comments:

Post a Comment